If you are considering adding a pet to your family, Golden Touch Pet Salon encourages you to think "adoption as an option." An adoptable pet is one that formerly had a home, but was "given up" for any of a variety of reasons, and is waiting at a shelter or foster home for it's new hopefully-fur-ever home. Adoptable pets can be found in many locations, including (but not limited to):
- Community shelters (e.g., Orange County Animal Care Shelter, Mission Viejo Animal Shelter, etc.) - Most have websites so you can browse before you visit.
- Internet sites designed to show-case adoptable pets, such as PetFinder.com, PetHarbor.com, and Adoptapet.com.
- Non-profit rescue organizations - The links to many of these groups can be found on PetFinder.com. Many of these groups also present their adoptable pets on Craigslist (see more about Craigslist below).
- Breed-specific rescue organizations ... just Google something like "Golden Retriever Rescue" or "Dachshund Rescue" to get to their websites.
- Craigslist.org - The "backyard breeders" seem to have taken over the "Pets" category; pets in real need of a new home are being listed as "Free Stuff."
- Private party adoptions - These pets are usually matched to new owners through word of mouth or flyers posted on pet store, feed store, veterinarian, and grooming salon windows. Golden Touch Pet Salon has a visible window display of pets available for adoption.